Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Posting Spooky, Day 7


While this doesn't exactly qualify as spooky, I just pulled out my copy of The Witches of Eastwick to give it a re-read, before the sequel comes out later this month- ya just gotta love a book with a character who laminates her hubby into plastic placemats! The not-so-ficticious Eastwick is just a few towns away in Wickford. Years ago we knew a family who lived in a house on a tiny island in the middle of a salt pond, accessible by a narrow causeway- surely Updike must have borrowed that location for the devil's home- the description fits to a "T", although their home was far more modest.

Another great October read is The Lace Reader. The title character is one of a family of women who read bobbin lace in the way that others read tea leaves or tarot cards. The story is set in Salem, Massachusetts, complete with a sympathetic portrayal of a modern day witch. I was drawn to this book because I used to make bobbin lace, and it was while on a visit to Ipswich, Mass, the center of the lace industry in America, that I visited Salem. Check out the author's (Brunonia Barry) web site- pun intended, she draws you into the lace like a spider at its web.

Today's picture is a cute Frankensteinish candy/dip bowl I bought last October at a local independent supermarket. It must have been left from the previous Halloween, as it was already marked down half price. It reminds me of DustBunny with her little smooshed-in face!

3 comments:

Kirsty said...

I love your candy/dip dish! I imagine it filled with green M*M's...oh wait! That's my food imagination going wild again! Rein it in kiddo! LOL! Anyway, I'm going to look up the book you recommended, I have so little time, and so much desire for reading material! With 4 kids, 2 that are 4.5 and almost 2, my days have rather filled up!
Kirsty/Moonsinging

Alikat said...

Spooky Cute :0)

But I know you can do SPOOKY better :0P

Laume said...

Thanks for the spooky reading suggestions. I was gonna read spooky all month and I am, but I think my current book is only thinly seasonal (it has witches in it) - I'm reading Chocolat for the first time. Seen the movie but hadn't read the book. I had to read the book because the sequel has been recommended to me several times recently. I didn't know Witches of Eastwick was a book as well as a movie, much less that a sequel (book or movie?) is coming out. I'll have to put both that and The Lace Reader on my books to watch for and find.