Thursday, June 5, 2008

Books I've Read Lately- all highly recommended!

Dreamers of the Day by Mary Doria Russell. I love all her books. This one is a must read in light of the current political situation in the Middle East.
An Incomplete Revenge by Jacqueline Winspear. I generally don't like series, but this one is wonderful. Maisie Dobbs is one of the mystery genre's most engaging characters.
The Winter of the World by Carol Ann Lee. I wasn't familiar with this author, now I want to find her other books.
Atonement by Ian McEwan. I've had this book in my library literally since before it was published- my copy is an ARC (advance reader's copy). It took the movie trailer on tv to get me to finally read the book.
The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian. I am amazed at the skillful way he worked the characters from The Great Gatsby into this book!
King Hereafter by Dorothy Dunnett. Okay, so what if 11th century northern European geopolitics aren't everyone's cup of tea? This isn't an easy read, but what a book!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

So Barbara, did you like Atonement? Now that I have time, I'm looking for a book to read this summer, and I have always thought about reading that one.